January 17, 2005

Just Breathe

A terrifying story has just broken in the New Yorker. According to Seymour Hersh, "the Administration has been carrying out secret reconnaissance missions to learn about nuclear, chemical, and missile sites in Iran in preparation for possible airstrikes there." In other words, Bush wants to start a new war.

The Administration hasn't denied Hersh's report, although they said it was full of inaccurate information. However, they do not say that the report itself is untrue. To paraphrase:

"Hersh said Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld view Bush's re-election as 'a mandate to continue the war on terrorism,' despite problems with the war in Iraq. 'The planning for Iran is going ahead even though Iraq is a mess.'"

I feel like I can't breathe. The King has been in the military for 16 years. He's currently on his third combat mission. We only have to get through a few more months here before we move to Pearl Harbor and start our real life together, the one where he gets to come home every night, and in four years, he'll be retiring from the military.

The past week or so, as his homecoming gets closer, I've finally begun to breathe easier. I've finally started to think, "Maybe we'll really get through this okay, and then we'll get to spend the rest of our lives together, and the King can become one of those veterans who spends his time talking about the good old days." He went to Afganistan twice, and there isn't time for him to go to Iraq before we move. I was really starting to think that maybe I'd be able to stop having nightmares about men in suits knocking on my door with telegrams.

But now the president thinks that he should get to start another war. Mr. President, will you please come to my house and breathe for me? Because I think I've forgotten how.

1 comment:

DeadBug said...

I'd breathe for you if I wasn't so breathless myself--that is terrifying. I can't even imagine how hard it is to have your husband in harm's way, and to have your personal future so unsettled.

Hoping for the prompts Return of the King. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

--Bugs