January 11, 2005

It Ain't Over Yet

Congratulations to us! Del. Cosgrove, author of the infamous fetal death bill, has withdrawn it because of what we in blogworld did! I'm absolutely thrilled.

However, there's a new bill to worry about. (Were there always this many? Is it purely an outgrowth of Bush's reelection? How did I now know about Maura's blog before?) The new bill, HB 1807, makes it:

a Class 6 felony to provide a minor with a contraceptive if the person knows or has reason to believe that the minor is engaging in sexual relations with a person three or more years older than the minor.

When I was seventeen, I slept with a twenty-two-year-old man. In fact, that affair lasted six years and was one of the most important relationships of my life.

So, what Del. Marshall is saying is that anyone who I tried to buy condoms from during the first year of that relationship, such as say, the fourteen-year-old girl working the register at Safeway, should have tried to convince me to break up with my boyfriends, and if I wouldn't, to refuse to sell me the condoms. Does Del. Marshall like teen pregnancy? Does he think it's fun? You can reach him at Del_Marshall@house.state.va.us to ask him yourself. I definitely will.

Updated to include:
Amnesia--Hmm, I'm not sure why it didn't work. I e-mailed him at that address this morning and it didn't bounce back. Maybe we've actually managed to crash his account? I got the address by clicking on Maura's link to him at http://www.democracyforvirginia.com/. Sorry, other than that, I don't know.

2 comments:

Amnesia said...

I tried to reach our little problem via email and was told that the email address doesn't exist. Any suggestings?

The original message was received at Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:50:03 -0600 from plmlir5-2.mail.eds.com [199.228.142.135]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- Del_Marshall@house.state.va.us
(reason: 550 No such user - psmtp)

Kath said...

So, is it ok to give contraceptive to a minor "over the border"?

I don't get this one.