November 29, 2004

You Learn Something New Every Day

I learned a new word today, the name of a surgical term: labioplasty. Labioplasty is the cutting off of parts of one's labia minora so they are smaller and don't poke out from the labia majora. For an illustration (you may want to make sure no one else can see your monitor) see here. The primary reason for labioplasty is that some people (or, perhaps, their husbands) don't like the way their labia look after they've given birth. According to one plastic surgeon, "Many women bring us Playboy and say that they want to look like this." Seriously, how fucked up is this? I thought I'd heard it all with tummy tucks, chin lifts, and calf implants, but no. You just had a freaking baby--do you really want your vagina to look like that of a thirteen-year-old girl?? Why do women do these kinds of things to themselves?

3 comments:

akeeyu said...

Yeah, I think it's pretty bent to put your nibblies under the knife for the sake of being 'pretty'. I mean, are they kidding? The prettiest snatch in the world (pardon my delicate nature) still looks like, well, snatch, and that isn't *anybody's* best feature.

Cricket said...

Yes, a delicate issue indeed... I've always felt labia-challanged, so it peeves me to see unwanted excess go to waste. It is sort of a reverse of penis envy?

If you look at the pictures, you'll note that each of these surgical specimens have the shaved thing going on. Only one even had a landing strip.

When did the pubic area go so chic? I never considered that the attention it receives would be quite so visual. Tactile I would have predicted, but I guess presentation is now the priority?

Queenjulie said...

"Tactile I would have predicted, but I guess presentation is now the priority?" LOL--chic indeed. Your comment reminds me of that scene in Pulp Fiction where the woman tell Bruce Willis that she wants a pot belly, and he says they aren't very pretty, and she says people always confuse things that feel good to the touch and look good to the eye. Of course, we all know men are visual creatures, right? Perhaps that's the motivation. And perhaps those men's wives should just turn the light off before sex and save themselves the surgery.